Southwest Airlines provides high-quality internet to their customers who fly onboard the aircraft. They offer both wifi and non-wifi equipped flights at a lower price than other airlines with more perks like gate-to-gate interconnectivity and fully Wi-Fi-equipped aircraft.
Southwest Airlines has become the world’s leading airline by global market valuation. In its headquarters in Dallas, Texas, they operate over 4,000 flights daily with around 747 planes.
Located in the US and ten other countries, Southwest has over 100 destinations. It is also their one airline that carries more domestic passengers than any other airline in the United States.
Southwest Airlines Overview
|Name||Southwest Airlines Co|
|WiFi Provider||Panasonic Avionics|
Southwest Airlines Wi-Fi Timeline
The Dallas-based air carrier has been experimenting with Row 44 (a company later bought by Global Eagle Entertainment) as far back as 2009.
In 2010, Airtran began offering its satellite-based in-flight Wi-Fi that started with a $5 per flight charge, as well as the ability to connect with other passengers at a whim. Airport plans remain to complete by the close of 2012.
2013 – 2019
On November 20th, 2013, the airline marked a milestone by becoming the first U.S.-based airline to offer gate-to-gate interconnectivity aboard its fleets serviced by its network partner and Global Eagle Entertainment.
Then on 13th December 2016, Panasonic signed a deal with Southwest. Their partners Shanghai Global Eagle Entertainment will boost the quality of in-flight connectivity and entertainment for air travellers.
However, the Southwest-Panasonic partnership ended in 2019 for undisclosed reasons. The airline’s spokeswoman, Michelle Agnew, only stated that the separation was mutual from both sides because of many complaints about inconsistent Wi-Fi service received by passengers. Yet, some people speculated that the fall-out might be due to many complaints about lack of Wi-Fi service received from customers onboard.
2019 – Present
Southwest replaced the outdated system with Global Eagle Entertainment’s. As of mid-2019, Southwest Airlines will be using this new Wi-Fi service.
The low-budget airline has undergone its entire fleet with top-speed, satellite-based Wi-Fi and other fantastic features increase continually.
Wi-Fi-equipped Southwest Aircraft
Southwest Airlines is one of the few airlines with a fully Wi-Fi equipped aircraft. It operates 747 fleets made up of only Boeing 737 aircraft, which make it the largest operator of those planes in the world.
This was the total number of aircraft present in Boeing’s 737 fleet as of December 2019.
|Aircraft Type||Number owned||Wi-Fi Status|
|Boeing 737-700||506||Fully equipped|
|Boeing 737-800||207||Fully equipped|
|Boeing 737 MAX 8 (temporarily grounded)||34||Fully equipped|
How To Detect If Your Flight Provides In-flight Wi-Fi
- They have an exterior metallic logo in the shape of a Wi-Fi symbol on their body. They also have the Wi-Fi symbol inside one.
- Southwest employees will help you with your wifi experience while on flights. Visit Southwest.com/wifi to learn more.
- The plan also includes a Wi-Fi that can support up to 10 devices, and the flight crew ensures you have all the information ahead of time.
Wi-Fi Provider For Southwest Airlines
Though Panasonic Avionics worked with Southwest for some period of time, Global Eagle Entertainment is currently the only service provider for in-flight satellite-based Wi-Fi to Southwest.
Global Eagle Entertainment (GEE) designs and manufactures customers’ telecom equipment. They offer powerful satellite internet connections for the hospitality, aviation, and maritime industries.
It is a formal merger that brings together various internet companies. It also acquires the following: Row 44, a satellite-based network provider of Southwest Airlines and expanded its operations.
Southwest Airlines Wi-Fi Price
As a famously low-cost airline, Southwest offered its top-speed satellite-based Wi-Fi price of $8 for each device per flight. The fixed rate is on the affordable side considering the perks that come with it:
- Passengers have access to the internet while they fly. The Wi-Fi is a simple, reliable feature offered by most airlines and airports.
- We provide consistent pricing regardless of the device, as we’ve disconnected from our artificially-inflated networking costs.
- Wi-Fi data usage is unlimited.
- Same prices for connecting on domestic and international flights, the Wi-Fi fee.
- Passengers get one day of Wi-Fi onboard and on connecting flights, no matter how many flights are caught up in the The airfare includes a whole day’s pass, indicating that passengers have the freedom to catch up without making another payment.
- It’s a free app with three functions. You can easily use it for web surfing and emailing, but also for flight tracking and texting
Previously, passengers paid $2 per device and other messaging services for a full day. But now, Southwest offers FREE messaging services to their flyers inside the plane. The new service is only available on iMessage and WhatsApp, however.
There are special perks and fares, just like Southwest. Alaska Airlines and Delta are both available through our website, with more options in the United States only.
Free Wi-Fi is now available to all A-List Preferred Members on Southwest Airlines. Free rewards that accompany this elite status will allow for free Wi-Fi on all flights, plus some extra benefits that members receive when logged in with their Rapid Rewards account details.
Other Features Of Southwest Wi-Fi
- You are not limited to just one Wi-Fi access device if you want to switch devices. Switching costs extra because it changes how we calculate your total price for each day’s access.
- Wifi is included on all international flights. Connectivity is always available, whether it’s for the entire flight or just connecting flights
- international flights that get cancelled may not have adequate network coverage. That is why airline personnel inform customers about any potential network issues via their in-flight entertainment system.
- You will not be able to use high-frequency apps, like Zoom and HBO Max, and some video content like Netflix when you connect to the Southwest Wi-Fi network.
- We don’t show explicit content on our site. We use a moderated and approved list of websites to filter all content labeled as provocative for public viewing.
- WhatsApp and iMessage are the only applications which allow free texting. Therefore, you can use them before boarding by downloading the app onto your device.
- Passengers of Southwest Airlines can use as much of their data without charge as they want.
- Airplanes with Wi-Fi onboard creates more free entertainment for people.
- But there’s bad news for passengers. The airline has not yet installed power plugs onboard to charge travellers’ devices, so they might need to bring a power bank to carry on their phones or use the airport power stations near the gates to charge their mobiles.
- Supported payment methods include;
- Apple Pay
- Credit cards are used to make purchases with your money. Discover, American Express, MasterCard, and Visa are credit cards that are most popular in the United States; they all carry different privileges.
Steps To Connect To Southwest In-flight Wi-Fi
- Go to your device settings.
- Ensure flight mode is on upon boarding.
- Also set on device Wi-Fi.
- Pick “SouthwestWiFi” from the listed hotspot options.
- The website address will show up on different pages. These pages include links to the website’s homepage or directions on how to get more information.
- Open your favorite browser and follow the link or copy the IP address of this page.
- In a case where the in-flight entertainment channel did not open up instantly, then manually search “www.southwestwifi.com” on your computer.
- In the entertainment web portal, purchase and connect to the Wi-Fi. You’ll have access to ads, blogs, classifieds and videos with friends while you’re in hotspots.
In-flight Entertainment Services On Southwest Airlines
Global Eagle Entertainment (GEE), a long-time partner of Southwest Airlines, insists on maintaining notable and high-quality experiences for its client’s customers, who have made series improvements to the airline’s in-flight entertainment service in the past.
Southwest Airlines launched its free in-flight entertainment offering onboard planes. In 2019 there was no need for customers to pay for Wi-Fi when using the airline’s aircraft before the innovation that allowed for the 100 per cent free in-flight entertainment offering on all planes with Southwest Airlines.
The Southwest app provides movies. In this case, it is Wi-Fi that you will need to purchase if you want to watch the movies on offer.
Again in 2020, GEE, following adjustments to the entertainment web portal scraped out the need to download the Southwest app. Air travelers can choose their entertainment options right from the entertainment portal without downloading the app.
Southwest offers a variety of entertainment options inside the cabin. If you are in an airport with Wi-Fi, you can search for what you would like to watch on their portal.
These options include the following:
We offer more than 30 free movies accessible on our channels. We constantly update those movies with new releases and classics for the people who watch the bouquet.
There are lots of different channels of live tv available on the screens in Southwest planes. There are news channels broadcasting stories from around the world, sports channels showcasing live games for passengers to watch, movie channels that allow their eyes to rest and some children’s channels for when kids travel by themselves.
Customers of Southwest can watch their favorite TV shows on demand.
With iHeartRadio, passengers can enjoy Southwest’s music for free. They can use the service to listen to their favourite playlists and the entire music library on a one-month trial.
Other In-flight Entertainment
By tracking routes and finding out about their destinations from the in-flight entertainment web portal, customers can also learn more about their flights.
Other Features Of In-flight Entertainment On Southwest
- Southwest Airlines is yet to install seatback monitors on any of its aircraft, but passengers can stream all their entertainment options from their smartphone or tablet.
- To access the in-flight entertainment, join the “SouthwestWiFi” hotspot and follow the prompt to access www.southwestwifi.com. On the entertainment channel, you can pick from movies, live TV, on-demand TV shows or some other option so that you can watch your pick of entertainment.
- In-Flight Entertainment Services show movies to passengers on WiFi equipped flights. The services are available only for a limited period when the wireless network is accessible.
- Due to a legal authorization that prohibits international flights from having any Live TV and iHeartRadio, these channels are unavailable on a plane.
List Of Supported Devices And System Software
You will need a device or system capable of running our website to experience the full benefits of our companies.
- Android devices – Android 8+
- Apple devices – OS 12.0+
- Windows – Windows 10
Regularly updated browsers are the most up-to-date versions of Google Chrome, Apple Safari, and Microsoft Edge.
Commonly Asked Questions
Is Southwest Wi-Fi Free?
Fliers can pay $8 a day if they want to surf the internet on Southwest Airlines. But, those with A-list Preferred Traveler Status can always access the Wi-Fi for free.
Which Airplane Offers In-flight Wi-Fi?
Southwest Airlines provides their passengers with the in-flight Wi-Fi aboard each of their Boeing 737 fleets.
Will I get a refund for poor Wi-Fi service?
If you’re experiencing a poor Wi-Fi connection on your cruise, please call our customer service representative and they will be more than happy to assist.