Everyone wants to travel. Whether you’re traveling for business or pleasure, there are always rules when traveling by aircraft. The aircraft can bear only a certain amount of weight and still keep flying. Anything more than what’s allowed can lead to turbulence.
This is why it’s important to know what kind of carry-ons and checked bags you can bring on your trip with Southwest Airlines. Before you know if Southwest has a strict weight limit, read about when it allows for carry-ons or check bags.
Southwest Airlines has a checked baggage allowance and most other airlines will usually match this provide you with the same result.
Southwest Airlines has a checked baggage allowance that’s subject to screening and checking by the TSA. The TSA officers may ask some passengers to show their ID before traveling to their destinations. Passengers may be asked to put identification on both the inside and outside of the baggage.
Passengers who want to check three or more bags onto their flight can check-in those bags at no additional charge. However, they will be charged $75 if they are carrying just two bags with them.
Weight Limits for checked baggage: Carry-on bags must not exceed 50 lbs. and also should be 62 linear inches in size. Oversized luggage may need to ship with Air Cargo.
For more information about Air Cargo from Southwest, please visit their website
Rick suggests that you might want to check your carryon and personal items before boarding or inquire about changes to your travel plans.
Southwest Airlines has a baggage policy. It allows one bag plus 1 carry on not exceeding the size, weight, and number limitations. If it has more than this, you need to pay an additional fee. There are several guidelines that Southwest Airlines has in place to assist with excess luggage.
Bags that weigh more than 50 pounds and upto 100 pounds are overweight items, which are on the Fat List. If you choose to check these bags, an extra fee of 75$ will be charged per additional bag. If your baggage is over three checked bags, then you’ll have to charge for the fourth one as well.
If we see that you are carrying one bag and it exceeds the weight restrictions and maximum dimensions, it counts as excess baggage.
Our travel restrictions don’t have a limit on how many bags employees can check, as long as the weight is below 100 pounds and the size is below 80 inches. This protection extends to US Military Personnel traveling via Southwest or any airline.
If a passenger travels with more than the ≤23 kg baggage allowance, he/she may be required to pay an additional fee.
Southwest Airlines has strict policies into how their passengers can travel with an over-sized carry-on bag. Their airline say you should only have one carry-on and one personal item on the plane that each should not exceed 10*16*24 inches in size. They also say that safe storage of your luggage means all too people within your car seat, atop the overhead bin, or under the front passenger seat.
Please note that the carrier for your pet will be either a carry-on or checked baggage. If it does not fit within the dimensions mentioned above, then you won’t be allowed to check it in as a carry-on. If that’s the case, when you arrive on your flight, you can get your baggage at the luggage claim area.
Before catching your flight, check that the tools you are packing in your carry-on, such as needles and medical syringes from home, are secured. This is to avoid any damage to yourself or other passengers who fly Southwest. Another important tip is to let a Southwest flight attendant know if you need to use a needle so they can provide you with a disposable container for storage.
There are certain restrictions for personal items on planes. You cannot bring anything that is bigger than 18.5 x 8.5 x 13.5 inches with you on board your flight. Your personal item can be stored under the seat in front of you, or in an overhead bin if it is too large for the seat.
These items do not count as carry-ons or personal items. They are exempt from the one-bag-plus-one-personal-item rule: a) Liquids like water, soda and juice that have their own individual containers b) One bag in hard cases for clothes that also has its own protective case c) One sealed plastic bag per person with 3oz shampoo
- A child-restraint device for Southwest passengers is exempt from the list. The child must have a ticket for this to apply.
- You can carry your mobility device on-board a plane with you. There is no limit to the number of mobility devices one passenger can bring onto the flight.
- You do not need to meet the airline’s carry-on size requirements with your clothing items.
- During the flight, you should eat food that is designed to be consumed onto the plane, not food items that are easy to carry with you in your carry-on.
- Non-strict carry-on and personal items guidelines do not include umbrellas and walking canes.
The prohibited items on the Southwest Airlines are costly. The airline is able to keep those prices down by buying some of those items in bulk.
As an airline, we follow the strict rules with screenings provided by the TSA and FAA. These guidelines are created for the safety of passengers and everyone else on their planes. This ensures the safety of you and your fellow passengers.
- Alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol content are not allowed onboard. The alcohol you carry on the flight should be made up of less than 3.4 ounces or less than 100 milliliters. You can only take alcohol on a commercial airplane if it has sealed packaging and is made up of less than 70% concentration.
- Always pack sharp objects such as knives, retractable blades, cutting instruments, razors, and carpet knives in your checked baggage. You may bring other types of dangerous items on board a flight with you if they are wrapped securely in paper or cloth and fit within the airline’s carry-on limit.
- Checked luggage is not allowed to carry hazardous materials such as gasoline-powered tools, wet-cell batteries, radioactive materials, poisons and infectious substances. Carry-on items are not allowed to carry poisonous materials or objects that will breach TSA regulations at the airport checkpoint.
- Each passenger can bring a quarter-sized bag of liquids. The items should not weigh more than 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters. Policy changes for travellers experience at the TSA are difficult, but US citizens travelling internationally need to know:
- Airlines allow you to bring up to 20 batteries onboard with your carry on. These batteries are equipped in a variety of ways, whether in portable power banks, USB-powered battery chargers for laptops, mobile phones, tablets, headphones and more. Airlines require these portable power banks to be with you in or on your carry-on.
- Electronic cigarettes can be used either on the flight or in your carry-on bag. Please make sure that they are turned on with the safety mode to prevent any accidents on aircraft. You cannot smoke on the plane.
- You should never leave the house without your lighter. It provides emergency fire light and is always a must-have on vacation, in case of emergency or if you happen to get separated from friends or family.
- When flying with children, car seats and strollers can be carried on by their owners. Parents are allowed a two-piece baggage allowance when traveling with juveniles, which also includes heavy items like strollers. An optional luggage bag is available from the Southwest Airlines ticket Counter for $17 that offers more room for your belongings.
- Marijuana is not allowed on the flight. People are not physically allowed to bring marijuana with them on the plane. It cannot also be checked in with their luggage.
Please see the list of prohibited items. You will be able to avoid any issues that could lead to charges if you do not follow the policy.
There are a number of important questions that many people have about their baggage to answer when they fly with Southwest Airlines.
How hard is it for people to meet the checked luggage limit on Southwest Airlines?
People don’t need to be worried about heavy bags when traveling with Southwest Airlines. The airline has a pretty lenient policy, and passengers can enjoy flying with the airline without restrictions.
Can passengers have 2 carry-on bags on Southwest?
You should be able to bring two carry-on bags with you on your plane. However, they both must fit in the overhead bin or under the seat safely. One of the bags is limited to foot 2018x16x22 and weighs less than one 70 pounds.
If your carry-on bag is 50 pounds or more you will be asked to check it at the airport.
If you’re traveling internationally and your checked bag is more than 50 pounds, you’ll have to pay a fee of 75 dollars to get it.
Can you check whether I can carry-on a backpack and a carry-on bag when I fly with Southwest?
Yes, passengers can bring on board one bag for their trip with Southwest Airlines. Remember to check the size and weight requirements before you bring your items on board.
Want to find the best flight deal? Browse airlines and book Southwest without printing a boarding pass.
You can check up to three bags by paying the excess baggage fees of 75$ for the third one. To do this, you’ll need to ensure your bags meet the maximum weight and dimensions requirements.
Traveling can be a hectic thing to do. And whether you’re traveling with someone or alone- there are certain things you should keep in mind. The luggage bags you carry with you, especially when flying by plane, is one of those things. We hope this article made it easier for you to pack accordingly for your next trip with Southwest Airlines. Have a safe trip!