Southwest Airlines takes the names of their passengers seriously. This allows them to make changes to the flight reservation up to four characters if they need to change their name as well. There are also no third-party agents who are allowed to alter a passenger’s flight reservations and hope that Southwest Airlines will accept it voluntarily.
Passengers are allowed to change their Southwest Airlines reservation name from American to British, or British to American. A customer service representative can help them change their name for a one-time fee without any worries about disrupting their travel plans.
Airlines don’t allow travelers to change the name they’re traveling with in the PNR of an airline online. If change is required, you’ll have to cancel your booking and claim a refund, and then find a flight that can be booked under a different name. Here are the following approaches that will work for processing the request:
- Southwest Airlines provides a policy for frequent name changes that makes it more convenient for travelers. It is important to remember that the addition of 4 characters does not indicate each letter should stand for first, middle, and last name but rather a combination of all.
- As per our name change policy, changing one’s last name after marriage or divorce, or legally changing one’s last name on a ticket can get their flight changed to their new last name.
Here are the important highlights from Southwest Airlines’ new policy – it’s a name change.
- Southwest has certain rules with regards to name changes on tickets. Rapid reward members are not allowed to change their ticket to a name that is different than the one associated with their frequent flyer account.
- Transferring or selling your power of attorney is not permitted.
- After submitting your name change request, you can expect an email from Southwest with all the necessary instructions. A name change fee alone would be collected along with any applicable fare difference if you’re traveling within 90 days of the original departure date.
- If you are traveling with code-shared carriers like Air France through an interline agreement, your name change request would only be permitted on the flight segment.
- If your ticket is on Southwest Airlines, you can change the name of your reservation using our app. We’ll use the most restrictive fare rule to determine whether or not the new name will be accepted.
- Several people have requested to change their names after this process has been completed. We can not swap seats on the same PNR, so be careful when you make those changes.
- If you sort your flights under the wrong name, or if there’s an incorrect name on the ticket or itinerary, you can claim a refund. There’s always a Southwest name change policy that applies to help you.
Southwest Airlines Change Name on Ticket
Here are the three main things you should understand before requesting Southwest Airlines’ name correction on your ticket:
Before The Ticket Is Issued
- According to Southwest Airline’s name correction policy, passengers can change up to four letters in their name starting with the first, no matter what the rest of the letters are.
- The title and a correction of space between the first, middle, or last name would be counted under the 4 characters correction, as per Southwest Airlines name change policy.
- Name changes under the policy must be submitted through a process that requires knowing the identity of the passenger in order to maintain the security of current and past travel history.
- If you need a name correction on your Southwest Airlines reservation, you can request it by calling them at a phone number provided.
- If a married person is looking for help changing their name through the Southwest Airlines change-of-name process, they should submit a valid legal document.
After The Ticket Is Issued
- It is not possible to change a ticket once issued. Mr.Smith is not allowed to change a ticket if he bought it on the Smith family nametag, but Mrs. Sally would be able to do that for her daughter.
- Southwest only includes passengers on a ticket under the name they have given them. Passengers are asked to provide a photocopy of legal documentation or any other information that reflects the new legal name when they check in.
Southwest Name Change Fee
Southwest Airlines may collect a name correction fee of 150 USD if the requested correction is made within 24 hours of booking. The representatives may ask for photocopies or other meaningful documents or to see any other evidence that supports the application.
After 24 hours, only name correction up to 4 letters is allowed for a Southwest Airlines name change fee of 200 USD. After the name correction, the ticket would be sent for reissue and would be rebooked in the same available class or higher class in the same cabin. In case of ticket reissue in a higher class of service, the fare difference may apply.
How to Change a Name on a Southwest Airlines Ticket?
Find out how you can change the name of your airline online as well as over the phone by going to Southwest Airlines.
Southwest Name Change Online
We have specific steps to follow for people who want to change the name on their Southwest Airlines ticket.
- You can visit southwest.com and then click on the ‘Manage Booking’ tab for more information.
- On the confirmation page of your booking, find the last name of the passenger by looking for “Enter the first and last name in search bar” and click on Retrieve booking button.
- For your booking, please make sure your name is updated correctly in the form and click on the ‘Change name’ button in order for us to change the name on the confirmation page.
- Our fares include name changes. You change your name at any time, from the moment of booking to check-in.
- Enter the name of your friend that is missing as you can modify up to 4 characters on the first, middle, or last name. The count of 4 characters is combined total and shall not be understood as the 4 characters each for the first name and last name.
- If you change your name on the flight, there may be a difference in the fare. You will be asked to also pay the name change fee.
- When the request is completed, passengers would be sent a confirmation with details about their trip. It explains that they need to check-in and select their seats again.
Southwest Name Change Over The Phone
Comments for name corrections can be completed by calling our customer service number.
- Have your airline’s booking reference handy. It is a six-digit code that is needed by the airlines to check in to travel.
- A person needs to submit official documentation such as a copy of their passport or legal name change documents in order to fulfill a request for change of name on air.
- You are able to request the name correction for up to characters on the first, middle, or last name. Our counts for these things are combined so please do not be confused and thinking these numbers mean how many characters each name has.
- Nobody gets an airline ticket that doesn’t have hidden fees. Some of these fees, like the Southwest Airlines name change fee, are unavoidable and must be paid when your flight tickets are booked.
- A new confirmation email is sent in order to complete the request. The notification also requires travelers to complete check-in and seat selection.
FAQs Related to Change Name on Southwest Ticket
If there is a typo or misspelling error on your first, middle or last name while booking with Southwest Airlines, you can fix it yourself via their website or app. You have a few options. First, if you are travelling with minors – it includes them as well – you can contact the airline to fix your reservation before departure and receive points for it. To see if your accommodation has been accepted for request, please check this page regularly. Any seat listed on the same flight can be changedover from that seating assignment in our app’s ‘ Seat Change 4 Your Flight’ tool
They can all be fixed for spelling Mistakes, via Southwest Airlines Customer Service. You’ll need to submit either a Marriage License, Divorce decree, or Old government issued photo ID with new government issued photo ID.
With their new policy, Southwest Airlines does not allow you to change the name of the passenger or enter a different name. However, if you booked a ticket with an incorrect name on it or if you need to change the passenger’s name, then you can cancel the ticket within 24 hours of booking. You will also be able to receive your refund for returning that particular ticket as well.
If the name correction was requested within 24 hours of booking, a fee of 150 USD would be collected from customers. Southwest Airlines representatives may ask for express copies of legal documentation or any other information that reflects the correct name.
If you book your flight on Southwest, you can use the Southwest Airlines website to edit your name on the ticket without service charges. All changes are eventually visible to other people who have purchased tickets for that trip and using this website for your edits and requested changes will automatically update their reservation as well.