Korean Air is a leading international air service with 126 destinations. It operates from Seoul, South Korea, and flies to 45 countries. To fly with Korean Air for your next trip, you should be aware of the proper guideline on Korean Air carry on baggage and other baggage policy.
Are you looking for the best deals on airline baggage fees? Korean Air allows a maximum carry-on of 18kg and 32kg checked baggage for their prestige class – but the economy class parks your bags at 10kg for a carry-on size and 2 checked no larger than 23kg in weight.
Korean Air Carry on Baggage Allowance
Korean Air has divided its baggage policy into two major classes: Prestige class, which gives the passengers access to more selection and personal attention by a hostess; and Economy class, which offers more space for storage but fewer perks.
The maximum weight limit for the first class is 40 pounds. Those who are gonna fly in style will be able to take two pieces of carry-on luggage along with one small bag for personal items on Korean Airways flights. Korean Air has restrictions on how many kilos each item can weigh so make sure that you plan your carry-on bag accordingly. The maximum dimensions of each piece of carry-on baggage are 20 x 55 x 40 centimeters in length, width, and height.
|Allowance||2 pieces + 1 Small Personal Item|
|Dimension||20 cm x 55 cm x 40 cm or15.7 x 7.9 x 21.6 inches|
|Total Dimension||115cm/45in or less|
|Combined Weight Limit||18 kg (40 lb)|
This is the maximum amount of weight allowed for most airlines in an economy-fare passenger’s carry-on and personal item. You can bring a personal item with one bag size, and the bag should not exceed 20 cm x 55 cm x 40 cm.
|Allowance||1 piece + 1 Small Personal Item|
|Dimension||20 cm x 55 cm x 40 cm or15.7 in x 7.9 in x 21.6 in|
|Total Dimension||115cm/45in or less|
|Combined Weight Limit||10 kg (22 lb)|
Korean Air Checked Baggage Allowance
There are two different types of checked bags; passengers with fewer than 12 pieces of luggage and passengers with more than 12 pieces of luggage.
Every Korean Air business-class passengers are allocated 2 pieces of hand luggage and the max weight is 158 cm or 62 in. Customers can better understand the limitations and specifics with all the information on www.koreanair.com
|Dimension||62 in/158 cm|
|Combined Weight Limit||32 Kg|
Passengers are allowed to carry a max weight of 23 kilograms/50 pounds in their luggage on board. There is also a restriction on how much you can take as luggage when traveling internationally, with the limit being two pieces. On Asian and European flights, the limit is up to 20 kilograms.
|Dimension||107 in/273 cm|
|Combined Weight Limit||23 Kg|
Korean Air allows musical instruments as long as they are packaged properly- and if you bring instruments, it’s best that you follow these guidelines to get them on the plane.
- Your musical instrument in most cases should be no further than 115cm or 45 inches in any dimensions. If a dimension of 20 cm x 55 cm x 40 cm is exceeded, your musical instrument must not go into production.
- Devices that are small and light such as violin, double bass, and the cello can be carried but within the given dimensions and weight.
Korean Air Baggage for Lap Infant
When going on international flights, you are allowed to bring one piece of luggage with you that is not bigger than 115 cm and toting up to 10 kilograms. When flying a domestic routes, you can bring your stroller as carry on luggage but carry-on baggage for infants usually only consists of one car seat and wheelchair as well.
|Bag Allowance||1 piece||No Bag|
|Size||115 cm /45 inches||…..|
|Others||1 car seat & 1 stroller||1 car seat & 1 stroller|
Korean Air Overweight Baggage Fees
Korean Air charges for overweight and oversized luggage. On each route, you pay based on the destination and weight range of your bag. There is a table below to help you identify the additional cost.
|Route||America, Europe, Africa, Middle-East, Asia||Korea, Asia|
|Excess Weight (23kg- 32kg)||$100||$50|
|Excess Weight (33kg-45kg)||$200||$100|
|Excess Size (158cm-203cm)||$200||$100|
|Excess Size (204cm-292cm)||$400||$200|
Restricted Items In Korean Air Carry on Baggage
KES was founded in 1946 and has been connecting people around the world for over 60 years. The company provides service from its home in Samseol. It operates to key destinations across Asia, including Japan, China and Australia, as well as throughout North America and Europe.
- Let your carry-on bag go through a couple more security checks without you needing to worry about anything unexpected. We allow any sort of liquids and gels so you can be sure that nothing will make it onto the plane without you realizing it!
- You can carry a maximum of 100 ml of sealed liquid for liquids that are in a plastic bag.
- Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries are a restricted item and can not be carried on.
- MacBook Pro with battery fire hazard is not allowed in some countries.
- We provide fire safety tools so that you’re never caught without a rescue plan.
- We work with nurse practitioners, physician assistants and herbalists.
- Be sure that the average person consumes less than 2.5kg of dry ice over the week.
- The maximum allowed amount of powder-based items carried on board a flight is 350ml per passenger.
Korean Air Storage Policy
With proper care and storage, your carry-on luggage will stay in tiptop shape for long periods of time.
- You can store your carry-on baggage underneath the seats. You don’t have to keep them in the overhead bins, unless there’s something messy or you can only fit one bag.
- If you are putting the bag in a horizontal location, then it should be kept under your seat.
- In order to avoid losing your luggage during flight, keep your baggage vertically in the overhead bin.
- If you put your bag or personal item on the seat next to you, please keep it above knee level
- Please be careful not to drop anything while attempting to place your carry on baggage in the overhead bin.
- Before leaving the aircraft, always make sure that an extra bag is packed for any items that you may need.
Does Korean Air weigh carry-on?
Yes, Korean Air has weight guidelines for carry-on baggage. The limit is 21lbs (50kg). Of course, the luggage should be small in size to fit under the seat or in the overhead bin.
Is Korean Air strict with baggage policy?
They offer a variety of baggage according to their available classes. Make sure that you pack your luggage carefully as they are strict about the rules for it.
How much charges Korean Airlines for extra baggage?
For international flights, the airline charges $50-$175 for excess baggage weighing up to 23kg to 32 kg. If your extra baggage exceeds the weight of 32kg-45kg, then they will charge $75 – $200. In the case of oversized baggage of 158cm – 203cm, they will charge $75 – $200.
The Final Verdict
Korean Air is one of many airlines who suspend luggage weighing more than 15 kg. They also give each passenger 2 check-in bags between the limit of 10 kilograms and 15 kilograms in weight. This means you can pack your carry-on luggage in a dimension that’s smaller than what is recommended for any airline. Korean Air have a carry on policy that you need to be made aware of, before packing your bag, which will save you from future problems with flight cancellations or over weight carried baggage.