The luggage allowance. Most airlines have different luggage allowances, but it’s always recommended to check before booking a flight. There is always a chance that you might miss out on an update, so it’s best to read the ticket during online booking and confirm what the baggage policy is.
Today, Etihad Airways is our focus. We’ll cover their baggage allowance policy, the types of your luggage you should carry depending on the type of ticket you have, an overview for different airline fees, and more. Let’s get started!
Are there weight or size limits for baggage? Are there certain pieces of luggage allowed on certain flights? Is it free to check in baggage at the airport?
The baggage allowance on Etihad Airways depends on factors like your membership tier, fares, travel class, and where you’re going. However, one of the most general rules for carrying luggage while flying with this airline is that you can check in as many bags as you want within a certain weight allowance.
Passengers can travel with both carry-on and checked baggage as long as their combined weight does not exceed the airline’s allowance. The rules for traveling to and from the US, Canada, and Saudia are going to be discussed in more detail later.
Etihad Carry Allowance is the first and most important factor to consider when booking your flight with Etihad. Let’s have a look at the details of how it works so that you can decide if you need any more luggage than what your trip will get you.
Etihad Carry-On Allowance
Etihad Airways is a very liberal for people who want to wear their carry-on bags on board. They’re more expensive when you are carrying your luggage with you. The first thing we’ll do is figure out how much you’ll be charged for “carry-on luggage allowance” which is usually an economy ticket.
If you book a hand luggage flight with Etihad Airways, it will be relatively cheaper than most other airlines. With only 7 kilograms of height and width airspace in the cabin, you can only take carry-on luggage. Your cabin bag should not weigh more than 7 KG along with your personal item. Keep in mind that these weight limits extend to hand luggage too, so when you fly with just carry-on luggage, you are allowed to bring up to 7 kilograms of weight in the cabin.
We always recommend that you take your small personal item (laptop, jacket, watch) in a bag that can fit under the seat in front of you. Collectively you will be allowed to carry 12 kgs of hand luggage on the airplane. If your total weight of your baggage is more than this amount, then excess baggage charges apply.
Carry-on allowance is allowed for travelers on some direct flights. Carry-on allowance only applies for certain flights in Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. Customers can now purchase carry-on allowance fare depending on the destination of their trip online.
- Abu Dhabi
- Saudi Arabia
- Sri Lanka
Getting through security, there are various ways to save on the amount of hand baggage required on your flight.
The standard size of your cabin bag depends on the aircraft you will be traveling on. According to Air Canada, only the size of your cabin bag must be 50*40*25 cm for Economy class passengers.
Business First and Economy class passengers can check two cabin bags that weigh no more than 10 kg. Much like the Business and First Class passengers, the Economy class passengers can bring a personal item that does not weigh more than five kgs.
You can figure out how much you’ll need in checked baggage based on your destination. Checkout this handy dandy calculator to get an idea of the how much dimensions you’re allowed.
Extra Fares for Excess Baggage
You should call their in-person team to book excess baggages. You can easily make the booking process by using the web tool, but it may take a few days to process. It really helps you save money because you buy amount as a package rather than individually.
Flying with Etihad is awesome! Etihad is great because you can add your excess baggage to your payment using your miles, unless it’s a free upgrade. If you have an Etihad Guest Membership, all you have to do is call them to book your extra checked baggage.
The amount of excess baggage you are allowed to check-in will depend on your Etihad Guest tier. There are 4 tiers: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Some people are able to take an extra 10 kgs when they’re members of Bronze. Many people get the ability to take 12 kgs when they’re members of Gold level. And at the highest level, Platinum members get unlimited addition baggage.
If you want to know more about your checked and cabin baggage allowance and how much excess baggage you can buy, go to our website here. All the details of how much your bags weigh, the maximum dimensions, will be given on your boarding pass in case you need it.
Oversized Baggage Allowance for Etihad
If you would like to carry a lot of baggage, but are limited to how much you can, Etihad might provide an extra amount. For example, fees might range from $40 per bag to $500 and go higher based on the same factors.
- You can use your Guest Miles to pay for extra baggage. With our loyalty program, it’s easy to earn and use your miles.
- Between the Middle East and the Indian Subcontinent, Beijing has a very expansive network of flights that connect to most major cities. Flight between Beijing and Nagoya are also easy to find.
- When you fly with Etihad Airways, be sure to buy the excess baggage allowance. You will save by not having it taken away from you when buying your airfare.
- If you are moving and need help traveling with your TV, you can buy an extra baggage allowance. If the tv is bigger than 32 inches, there will be a fee when traveling over 8 ft. in height. In the case of other countries, people traveling with a television larger than 40 inches will be charged an additional
- You will not be charged extra if you bring sporting equipment with you, such as bikes, scuba diving equipment, skis, poles, ski boots, surfboards, and golf bags.
- According to the weight concept, all items that weigh more than 30 kgs or are 300 cms in dimensions will not be allowed.
According to the airline’s excess baggage policy, fees are charged per kilogram. The fees can be different depending on where you are flying and from where, as well as how much weight your bags weigh. The ranges of costs include $25 – $40 per kg for the Middle East and the Indian Subcontinent, $35 – $50 per kg for all other countries except the US and Canada, and $100 per kilo for Canada or the United States.
If you would like to add pounds, kilograms or any other item to your bag without the baggage cost, it’s easy. There is a special international traveler weight allowance, so if you are flying between countries on international flights you’re already set.
When you are traveling to or from other countries, the overweight baggage fee varies. Adding an extra bag will cost between $208 and $280 for a 23 kg bag, $262 to $335 for an additional 32 kg bag.
Once you have paid the excess baggage fee, you can get a voucher that mentions the weight, the number of bags added, or a combination of both. Keep it with you at all times, so there are no complications when screening your excess baggage and checking in for your flight.
Regarding flight schedule and airplane availability, the airlines can decide how to assign the baggage allowance. The airline has the right to refuse any excess baggage they feel will hinder or cause a safety concern.
However, most of the time, the airlines will give airport employees your bags to carry onto the airplane for you.The baggage handlers at the airport will put your bag on an express belt to ensure it reaches its destination. However, you have to carefully watch your baggage because sometimes it’s not guaranteed and can be misplaced or left behind by accident and no one knows where it is.
You can purchase extra baggage online, which is beneficial if you have already checked in online. You will save 30% off the usual rate if you purchase an extra baggage allowance online.
Etihad Airways’ luggage allowance includes what things are not allowed, and how much weight each item comes in at.
They also have a list of items that cannot be carried on board or checked in. Etihad has it’s own list for each airline for obvious reasons to keep people safe. If you are found with any of those items, your baggage will be taken away.
One of the ways passengers protect themselves on a flight is by limiting items they carry with them. There are strict restrictions to avoid risks not just for the aircraft but all passengers travelling with it, which means you can’t take these items in your hand luggage. Etihad takes full responsibility for this, so they have a list of prohibited items.
Let’s have a look at the list of things you can’t bring in your bags on Etihad flights, according to their website:
Harmful goods such as wet batteries, acids, and alkalis are not allowed in either the aircraft or checked baggage. Our prohibited items include chemicals, dangerous good such as acid, wet batteries and black powder.
- Chemicals that eat away at your clothes or hair are corrosive or bleaching substances such as chlorine and mercury.
- Pepper spray tears in the eyes, mace is useless against liquid stones and other corrosive substances, and cigarettes can make breathing difficult.
- We provide Tasers and other types of electroshock devices. Explosives, compressed gases, and lithium batteries are not allowed either in the cabin luggage or the checked luggage.
- Radioactive material.
- Infectious or hazardous biological materials.
- Materials that are capable of spontaneous combustion.
- Alcoholic beverages exceeding 70% volume.
- Fire extinguishers.
- Some common pyrotechnic items that celebrate birthdays and are used during holiday festivities are fireworks, flares, and toy caps.
- Hoverboards are a popular electronic device that people often use for travel. There is also the more traditional mini-Segways which millions of people enjoy riding on. They are usually used for fun, like riding at a skate park or a bike path.
- Non-safety matches.
- Security supplies are often used for safekeeping cash, and also to hold different coins.
- Smoke-generating cartridges or canisters.
- Match the kind of flammable liquid with its smell. Lighter flammable liquids create a natural gas smell, fuel oil has an odor like gasoline and diesel has a rich solvent scent.
Etihad Corp allows weapons in their baggage as long as they are packed in the checked bags. Here’s a list of prohibited and allowed items on the flight:
- Firearms, such as pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns, including signal flare pistols. These firearms are not allowed in the cabin baggage but they can be carried in checked baggage conditionally.
- Firearms, including replica and imitation guns, can be carried in the cabin baggage if they are not allowed inside checked luggage. Harpoons, spear guns, and any other noisemakers except lighters that can conceivably hold a fire would also fall under this category. Plastic or stuffed toy firearms would be allowed in both cases. Stun devices or any item that makes a noise when it is used are not allowed on board as well.
- You can carry ammunition in checked luggage under certain conditions. They must be packed in 12/14 gauge UN 001 Division 1,2S 3-inch steel cased shot shell, or Div. 4. They should not exceed 5 kilograms of weight and they cannot be used for any military purposes.
- Smoking is not privileged in any shape or form. And it doesn’t matter whether you’re smoking cigarettes, vaping, or burning leaves.
- Usually sharp objects are not allowed in the cabin baggage; however, this can sometimes change if you are traveling on a short-haul flight.
- You can carry blunt instruments in your checked bag, but you are not allowed to bring them on board the plane.
- We must deflate all items. All items are supposed to be removed from the cabin and checked baggage. There is a fee for items we deflate/destroy.
How do I book extra baggage if I’m going through two flights so I don’t have to check my suitcase?
If a part of your journey involves more than one airline, the MSC (Most Significant Carrier) airline will be responsible for extra baggage. The MSC airline is generally the airline to travel with for the longest time out of your journey. These regulations are put in place by the Internation Air Transport Association (IATA).
Do I have to carry an additional bag if I pack some cash for the extra weight?
You can either carry a separate bag for it or put it in the same bag. It is important you know this before you pack. For flights to and from Mexico, we recommend carrying one bag that weighs up to 23 kgs with you on the plane. The airline will not charge you excess fees if either of the two bags weighs more than that amount.
FAQs about Etihad’s baggage allowance
How strict is Etihad with baggage allowance?
As per several reviews online, Etihad Airways’ baggage policy seems to be incredibly strict. For example, one reviewer mentioned that they are stringent about the carry-on baggage as well as the checked-in baggage. Furthermore, there were stations at the airport where you could alter the arrangements of your luggage to maintain the maximum weight that can be allowed on a flight.
We recommend researching this information ahead of time. Make sure you know what your weight allowance is for any occasion at all times, so that when you do get to the airport in a hurry, you won’t have to worry about missing your flight.
What is 2 piece baggage allowance?
One piece of luggage refers to the maximum weight allowed in a bag. If you have a ticket that says 2PC, this means that you can carry two bags as long as they weigh under 33kgs altogether. If your ticket says 1PC, then one bag can weigh more than 23kgs.
Can I reserve an extra piece of baggage with Etihad Guest Miles?
Yes, if you are a member of any of the Guest tiers for Etihad Guest Miles like Bronze, Gold, Silver and Platinum, then you can use your Miles to pay for extra baggage. If you do it online, you may as well save 30% on your booking too.
Please make sure that you are aware of the rules and regulations for baggage allowances when you travel. Knowing about these policies will help make your trip more enjoyable for everyone.