JetBlue is a budget-friendly airline company. Its home base is in North America and it daily operates over 1000 flights in more than 100 domestic and international places.
If you are planning on taking a JetBlue flight, check their baggage allowance before making the reservation. This article has all the information about known allowances for carry-on, checked and fees to help you in your decision.
Jetblue has a very specific size policy when it comes to checked baggage. The maximum dimensions for carry on baggage are (22x14x9) inches and (17×13×8) inches for personal items. Exceeding the size can cost Jetblue from $65 to $180 per carry-on bag. Jetblue does not have any weight restrictions for carry-on baggage. Jetblue’s checked-in baggage fees start from $35 with basic blue and go up to $150 with all the different levels of customer status.
JetBlue Flight Category:
Whether traveling by coach or on a JetBlue aircraft, if you don’t have tons of extra baggage, there are various categories that can meet your needs.
Basic Economy Class: This is the starting category of JetBlue which allows travelers one personal item for free. But you have to pay fees for carry-on baggage and checked-in bags.
Travelers who have Blue Plus are offered the same services as blue with extra one checked baggage allowance and an exemption on fees for personal item, carry-on bag, and checked bag.
Blue Extra offers free checked baggage on flights between the U.S. and the U.K. Their prices for checked baggage extend beyond their checking services and include luggage, bottles of water, and access to Sky Room lounges.
JetBlue Airlines recently introduced JetBlue Mint, a new international first-class lineup that allows you to bring one carry-on and two free checked baggage.
JetBlue Carry-On Bags Allowance:
You might have to pay an extra fee for your carry-on bag if it is too big. You don’t want to be stuck with an extra cost for a bag that you can fit into the airline’s chart. Here’s the information on Jetblue Carry-On Garments:
Carry-On Bags Instructions:
JetBlue allows you to bring on any size of luggage, including a backpack. However, they do have some restrictions and they include size, weight, and total dimensions to make sure that the carry-on baggage doesn’t trigger any warning alarms.
|Length(cm)||55.88 (22 inches)|
|Width (cm)||35.56 (14 inches)|
|Height (cm)||22.86 (9 inches)|
|Flight Category||One Free Carry-on Baggage Allowance|
Exception On Blue Basic Fares:
In most cases, JetBlue does not allow passengers to exceed one carry-on bag. Basic fare passengers can bring a personal item– as long as it’s not a bag– and there are exceptions.
- Customers aren’t ever obliged to carry a bag but if they want to, they can take one free with them.
- Despite many exceptions, our customers who are flying to and from London are exempt of the limit cap.
- Active U.S. military personnel can carry on their belongings with them to use while they are in travel mode.
- Minors traveling without adults.
Carry-On Personal Item Instructions:
Carry-on size personal items include camera, laptop, electronic device-containing backpack, small electronic devices. All categories of flights allow a carry-on personal item on the aircraft as long as it fits inside the packaging and is within six free airline seats depending on your class of ticket.
Your personal items must be kept in a place that will stay dry and away from the airplane’s intense heat. Be sure to know where your seat pockets are located before you check-in. JetBlue doesn’t have closets on board.
|Item||Carry-on Personal Item|
|Length(cm)||43.02 (17 inches)|
|Width (cm)||33 (13 inches)|
|Height (cm)||20.32 (8 inches)|
Oversized Carry-On Baggage fee:
If the size and weight of your luggage exceeds the airlines’ regulations, it will count as oversized baggage. For carry-on items, the maximum dimensions are (17x19x8) inches, and you just need to pay attention to the size when packing for your travel a
After the security checkpoint, oversized luggage needs to be checked with check-in luggage. Carry-on bags brought into the boarding area will be checked at the gate in addition to their first check-in luggage fee.
Oversized baggage checked at the gate will be placed in the cargo hold. That way you can take it with you on your next flight or reach for it too.
Baggage Allowance for Infants:
- Blue Basic and other basic fares passengers are allowed to bring aboard a diaper bag in addition to one carry-on and personal item. (As contrasted to other lower fares passengers that can only bring a carry-on or personal item.)
- You cannot take strollers or car seats on planes, but you can use them to board the plane. Then, when you arrive in your destination city, you can place them in the airport and pick them up from baggage claim.
- Most breast pumps don’t count as a carry-on item. This means you can’t take it on the plane with you.
- If you are traveling with a baby, the TSA has specific guidelines on what liquids and foods can be brought to the airport checkpoint.
- If you need a seat for your child and the child is under 22 years old, use an FAA-approved safety seat on board.
- Infants cannot qualify to get checked-in baggage, no matter the age.
Carry-on Assistive Devices Allowance:
Wheelchair assistance can be requested on every JetBlue flight and is provided to anyone who needs it. Wheelchairs are not allowed on the aircraft, but may be checked in as luggage. Passengers may choose if they would like to receive a personal wheelchair from the arrival gate or have one delivered from baggage when arriving at their destination. Airlines will provide a wheelchair service to reach passengers after they have claimed their personal chair.
Passengers who purchase duty-free items, liquids, gels, aerosols within the sterile area will be allowed to bring them onboard.
JetBlue Carry-on Pet Policies:
If you want to help your pet travel smoothly, you may want to book them on JetBlue’s mobile app or through the Airport Gate.
- Six pets are allowed per flight.
- We calculate the total cost for each animal to be $125, which covers all the services.
- The tried and true pet carrier will be counted as one personal item on the return flight and it must fit within the carry-on baggage allowance size.
- Travelers, who are carrying more than 20 pounds need to consider not using the airline carrier.
- Passengers do not have to worry about bringing along their pets on this service.
Carry-on baggage guarantee:
Customers travelling on domestic flights within the U.S., with a Blue, Blue Extra, and Mint fare, or who purchase an Even More Space seat will have a guaranteed overhead bin space as long as they meet all the requirements. If they can’t get a seat, they get back $25 in JetBlue Travel Bank credit
Baggage restrictions on international flights are based on first-come-first-served and depend on availability. If you are boarding a flight in a later group, you may have to check your luggage at the airport gate.
JetBlue Checked-in Baggage Allowance:
JetBlue has straightforward baggage policies and high oversized baggage fees. It is important to know the policy so you can avoid extra fees, but it is also helpful to know how much else you can save by not having to worry about it.
When you check in a bag, the length, width and height of your luggage must be within certain guidelines. Essentially this means you’ll have to get the dimensions of your suitcase/bag as close to 153 cm (58 inches), as possible. If your bag is over 80 inches (203.3 cm), it won’t be accepted.
Oversized bags must be carried in the cargo hold which is the entire space behind the bulkhead. Oversize bag pricing includes the weight and size of the bag, handles, wheels and fees.
Checked bag Weight: Allowed weight for checked bag is 50 pounds (22.68 kg) except for Mint fare. Mint fare passengers are allowed to carry up to 70 pounds. Bags that weigh over 99 pounds (44.91 kg) will not be allowed.
Our overweight baggage fees have been updated with a new, lower fee for bags weighing up to 99 pounds (44.91 kg).
If your baggage is overweight, the first fee equals 25% of the total cost; oversized means that between 40% and 100% of your baggage is too big.
Restriction for specific destinations:
Entries generated by travelers can be managed with ease, or simply forgo the hassle of getting stuck sorting cards.
- Each passenger can only carry a small amount of luggage at the most (up to 2 bags).
- Each bag has a maximum size of 157.48 centimeters (62 inches), cannot weigh over 31.75 kilograms, and must be at least 70 centimeters (24 inches) long.
2. Limitation to/From Cuba:
- You can only check-in a maximum of two bags or boxes, weighing within 50 pounds (22.68 kg) each, when traveling to/from Cuba.
- Only factory-sealed boxed is accepted.
- Larger bags and boxes usually cost more, they travel at more weight, so they are often limited to 70 pounds.
- Users cannot ship bags or boxes that are over the size of 62 inches (157.48 cm).
- Airlines charge overweight fees no matter what you’re flying, and airports set their own rates.
- There are some exceptions to the ban on flying with large items. Travelers can only bring cardboard and plastic containers, but not televisions, on international flights to/from Cuba.
Checked-in baggage fees:
JetBlue’s luggage fees vary depending on whether your bags are too big. The following list of fees is only applicable for baggage that meets size and weight restrictions.
Get great rates on your travels from the U.S. to South America and Central America through our ticketing partner.
|Flight Category||1st Bag||2nd Bag||3rd or more bag|
|Blue Plus||No charge||$45||$150|
|Mint||No charge(up to 70 lb)||No charge(up to 70 lb)||$150|
|Mosaic||No charge||No charge||$150|
|JetBlue Plus Cardmember||No charge||$45||$150|
The United Kingdom and the United States of America are two sovereign countries which have airports ready for visitors.
|Flight Category||1st Bag||2nd Bag|
|Blue Plus||No charge||$105/£85|
|Blue Extra||No charge||$105/£85|
|Mint||No charge||No charge|
|Mosaic||No charge||No charge|
|JetBlue Plus Cardmember||No charge||$105/£85|
JetBlue offers bags for $5 each if you buy a 2-bag voucher. This lets you have your luggage, and still have enough money to pay for food on board.
We offer refunds on canceled tickets if the initial booking is not completed. When checking in to the airport, you need to make sure that your bags meet the 4 bag check-in requirement.
We want you to enjoy your trip, so we don’t charge a fee to carry on all but carry-on baggage. We’ll give you a hand if someone wishes to check bags and they’re not able to do so themselves.
There are small discounts for those who are in military service. These discounts will be available when you pre-book your JetBlue flights that way you won’t need to worry about anything else.
- Active military personnel traveling for duty, as well as their dependents traveling with them on the same itinerary, may check 5 bags free of charge. They are required to present military orders and DoD Common Access Card (ID) to get the benefit.
- Active military personnel traveling for leisure and their dependents, who are traveling with them, will receive a checked baggage allowance of two (2) pieces at no additional cost.
- Veterans Advantage members receive a baggage policy where they can check up to 2 bags without paying the applicable fees.
JetBlue’s sport luggage policy is very flexible. If at all any damage to the items is done, the only responsible party for that amount for the passengers will be their own family members. However, if you do want checked-in luggage but under certain conditions and weight limits, then you may use it.
- Sports gear is accepted as a personal item on domestic and international flights. One hundred dollars (£80) per one piece of equipment will be charged in addition to the checked bag entrance fee, excluding bikes which cost passengers $150 (£120).
- When it comes to carrying gear, you’ll never again have to pay handling fees for oversized bags or anything at all. Our lightweight and portable products will be fine but if they’re over 50 pounds then extra fees apply.
- Golf bag
- Fishing equipment
- Snowskis and snowboard
- Water Skiers and wakeboard
Permitted Sports Equipments:
If you choose to check your baggage on a round-trip, checked bag fees will be associated with the fare purchased. If you choose to carry an overweight or oversized bag on the same ticket, one-way fares will be lower.
|Item||Carry-on Baggage||Checked-in Baggage|
|Hockey sticks/lacrosse sticks||❌||✔️|
|Shooting equipment||❌||✔️Condition Applies|
|Oars and paddles||✔️Condition Applies||✔️|
|Tennis racket||❌||✔️Except Mexico|
|Scuba equipment||✔️||✔️Condition Applies|
Musical instruments Allowance:
- OVERSIZE or OVERWEIGHT fees are not applicable for musical instruments as long as they do not exceed 150 inches (381cm) and 165 pounds (75kg).
- We need your musical instruments to be safe on your flights, so you will pay the checked baggage fee.
- Extra window seats can be purchased if the instruments weigh at least 70 pounds (31 kg) each.
Media Bag Allowance: A “media bag” can contain multiple items such as cameras, light-sights, films, and sound equipment. It’s crucial if you’re filming or photographing news stories to protect the integrity of your store or company.
New York media bag fare is $50 for the first checked bag and up to 99 pounds. Media bags are a one way ticket only – passengers cannot check back in baggage. To get the special rate, passengers have to submit a special request form at least 3 business days before travel.
Seafood is a term used to identify certain animals that live on or near the coast by virtue of their otherness and distinctiveness.
- All meats should be stored in a leak-proof container to preserve maximum quality.
- Packaging that is impervious to stains and liquids can be difficult, especially if it must survive in the most demanding conditions.
- Dry ice must be packaged no stronger than a total weight of 5.5 pounds by volume.
- The package must be described as what it is. The word “dry ice” was written on the package, which meant it was a pile of carbon dioxide ice.
Prohibited Items in Checked Bags:
Jet Blue is adding security measures to all international flights. Items listed below are prohibited in checked bags on all flights.
- Firearms / Ammunition
- Television except for Cuba
- Our mission is to provide customers with the best experience possible, so we are now recommending that you do not let these Note 7’s into the cabin either.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Are checked baggage fees refundable?
Checked bag fees are refundable only if the booking is entirely cancelled before the scheduled departure. If you pay for your baggage ahead of time, but you end up not checking the bags, please contact your airline before flying to cancel your flight without penalty.
What will happen If I bring carry-on baggage with a Blue basic fare?
Conditions indicate that you can bring one travel item, no bigger than 55 inches x 36 inches or smaller. You will be required to pay $65 for the first checked-in bag and $180 for any additional bags instead of the standard $25 baggage charge.
Can I bring a pet with a basic blue fare?
You are allowed to bring a pet with Blue basic booking. Since Blue basic only allows one carry-on personal item, you will not be able to carry anything else except for your approved pet carrier.